15 INSPIRATIONAL QUOTES (paraphrased) BY FAMOUS AUTHORS:
* Your readers do not need to know of the difficult journeys you undertook to learn your craft and hone your skills. Let them appreciate your results. Let them believe that you were born with the talent.
* Your ability to write isn’t so important, not if you know how to devise plots, develop characters and tell entertaining stories. Passion and sincerity can always make up for any shortcomings you have.
* Success and fame found me early, fifteen years before I finally realized that I had no talent for writing. But by then it was too late to stop.
* Successful writers work hard. No man can call himself a failure if he keeps striving in the face of disappointment. He may never be a literary legend, but he is assured of a respectable career as a writer.
* A full life, with family, friends and work, should bleed into your writing, making for much richer results.
* My success came when I realized that knowing how to tell a story entertainingly was more important that mastering the art of writing.
Edgar Rice Burroughs
* People outside think there is something special about writing; that you have to sequester yourself away from prying eyes and seek favor with the gods until inspiration strikes and you return with a book in hand. In fact, writing is just sitting at your desk and doing the best you can.
* It is more important to understand what you want to say to your readers than to figure out what your readers want to hear from you. You unique voice and perspective is the only thing you have to offer.
* Write what you can, when you can. Get it down on paper. It may be bad, but you cannot succeed unless you keep writing.
* My own writing frustrates me. Like a violinist, what I hear in my head is rarely what my fingers play on my instrument.
* I always make an effort to create sympathy for my characters before I unleash the monsters.
* Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
* A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.
* You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
* It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default.
Thank you to Tanishia for forwarding this: